Quality education has always been an important value in Ireton and in the state of Iowa. Our early residents established rural schools in their neighborhoods and once the town of Ireton "sprang to life" with the coming of the railroad in 1882, residents in the new town moved quickly to establish a school. Ireton High School graduated its first class in 1890.
As times have changed, a variety of educational opportunities have developed for residents of Ireton.
West Sioux Community School District
The town of Ireton falls within the West Sioux Community School District, a public school district.
Prior to 1960, Ireton had an independent school district; however, in 1959-1960 the towns of Ireton, Hawarden and Chatsworth and the surrounding rural areas consolidated to form West Sioux.
Over the years, facilities have been modernized and the grade levels offered in each town have been adjusted. All children in the district currently attend Kindergarten and 1st grade in Ireton while children in older grade levels attend classes in Hawarden. Free transportation is provided between the towns.
In addition to classrooms, the Ireton Center also offers a resource room, lunch room, gymnasium, playground and athletic field.
A separate daycare and pre-school is located at the site.
- Kindergarten, Transitional Kindergarten & 1st grade are offered at the Ireton Center, 303 Oak Street, Ireton
- 2nd-5th grades are offered at the Hawarden Elementary Center, 800 13th Street, Hawarden
- Middle School (6th-8th grades) and High School (9th-12th grades) are at offered at 1300 Falcon Drive, Hawarden
Ireton Christian School
The Ireton Christian School (ICS) is a private school offering grades Kindergarten through 8th. The school was established by the Ireton Christian Reformed Church (CRC) in 1917. Although still receiving strong support from the CRC, the school is separately incorporated and operated by a society of parents and supporters.
Students at the school have a variety of religious backgrounds. Bus transportation in the Ireton and Hawarden areas is available.
Many 8th grade graduates of the ICS attend Unity Christian High School in Orange City but others attend public schools or other private schools in the area.
The ICS facility includes classrooms, a library, music room, gymnasium, cafeteria, playground and athletic fields. The ICS also operates Kids of the Kingdom Preschool.
Ireton residents are fortunate to have a number of higher education opportunities within easy driving distance. They include:
- Dordt College (Sioux Center)
- Northwestern College (Orange City)
- Northwest Iowa Community College (Sheldon)
- Briar Cliff University (Sioux City)
- Morningside College (Sioux City)
- St. Luke's College (Medical - Sioux City)
- Tri-State Graduate Center (Sioux City)
- Western Iowa Tech Community College (Sioux City)
- University of South Dakota (Vermillion)