PLACES AND BUILDINGS
Over the past few years, the Ireton Area Historical Society has been cleaning, scanning and cataloging its photo collection. Many of these photos appeared in Ireton, A Proud History (1882-1982) but it is fun to see them a little larger. The photos on this page are arranged somewhat chronologically and are miscellaneous shots of buildings and places in Ireton. We hope they bring back a few memories.
Click on a photo to start slideshow.
Ireton's First Jail built in 1883. Circa 1980 photo -- was located just east of the water tower at that time.Ireton Ice House - Located in swale southwest of 2nd & Elm - 1890'sWilliam B. Day General Store - Main Street (East side first, then moved to west side)About 1900Opera HouseNorth side of 4th just west of Main(west of current post office)Built 1908-1909; Photo about October 1911Ireton Machine Shop owned by John CarterNortheast corner of 4th & EastAbout 1900 Northwestern BankWest Side of Main (304 Main)About 1900 Fred Marienau's General StoreFred behind counter at far leftAbout 1900 Unidentified Ireton Business - possibly Byrne Brothers store. About 1900.Mary Pereboom crossing the street in front of Meines Coffee Company (east side of Main).Interior of Black & Hazzard's Emporium (General Store) about 1910. Irwine Hazard at far left, unknown clerk in center, E. W. (Enoch) Black at right behind counter. George Rogers at right.First office of the Ireton Telephone Company located on the 2nd floor of the wooden frame building on the southwest corner of 4th and Main Streets in Ireton, Iowa. D. A. Wheeler, owner and Mrs. Elmer (Nellie Wheeler) Wright, an early switchboard operator.Farmers & Merchants BankEast Side of Main Street1904(Now the Ireton Vet Clinic)Interior of the Farmers & Merchants Bank (1903)Ed Dilley & Ed HennrichSlagle ElevatorElevator Row on North Side of 1st St.Just east of depotAbout 1905Ireton Flour Mill built in 1884-85 at a cost of $12,000. Could produce 30 barrels of flour a day.Fred Vlotho's Peddlers' Wagon At an Early Town Celebration About 1905Braaks Brothers Blacksmith ShopNorth side of 4th between Elm & MainAbout 1905 Braaks Brothers BlacksmithL-R: Henry H. Braaks, Etta Braaks [later Mrs. A. P. (Kelly) Johnson], Carl Braaks Interior of Braaks Blacksmith Shop, October 1950. Hans, Louie, Donald and Henry Braaks.E. H. Atwood Hardware StoreAbout 1915Hardware store on the East side of Main Street. On the left is Stewart's Blacksmith. Jenison/Shriner photography studio upstairs used glass negatives.Interior of Henry Puck's harness shop in 1919. Mr. Puck is behind the counter on the right. [Photo courtesy of Ardis & Leon (Nick) Collins]Marienau DrugstoreOwned by Bill MarienauAbout 1920The Farmers Store (General Store)Zana Marienau (l) & Ida Belle Taylor Smith, clerksAbout 1920City BakerySoutheast Corner of 4th and MainAbout 1925Standard Gas Station (about 1928)Ed Van Engen with his truckFirst Brick Building in Sioux CountyFormer Close Brothers OfficeNorthwest Corner of 2nd & Main (about 1930's)(Longtime Click Anema family residence)Farmer's Lumber + Yard about 1936. Located across from the depot on the east side of Main Street.City Meat Market (abt 1945)Pete Vanden Berg, ProprietorWest Side of Main Lunch wagon owned and operated by Mrs. John Smith, the former Ida Taylor. Served at farm sales and other events in the Ireton area in the 1940's. Mrs. Smith was assisted by Alice Den Ouden.Herwynen Store (abt 1947) (west side of Main)Eleanor Jasper (DeGroot); Jolene Herwynen (Kruse); Rich Herwynen; Bert Den Ouden (Huitink); Larry Goodmanson Kor-Nor Store (1948)Northwest corner of 4th & MainEsther Mae DeJong, clerk Red Goodmanson's Barber Shop (abt 1950)West Side of Main (about where Bank's drive-through is located)Security Savings Bank (abt 1947)west side of MainG.T. Juffer; Elfred Eifert; P.J. JufferSecurity Savings Bank (about 1980)West Side of MainSinkey's Garage (About 1941)Southwest corner of 4th & MainJake Sinkey & Bill MillerTransport with new Studebakers in front ofSinkey's Garage about 1948.Note from Jake Sinkey: $1800 for the load.Jack Ping (left) and his truck in front of his feed store located in the brick building on the southeast corner of 3rd and Main in Ireton, Iowa.The second "incarnation" of Jack's Feed Store located on the southeast corner of 2nd and Main in the former Ireton Cement Block and Tile Building. Jack's Feed Store operated in this location from 1955-May 1969. The buik feed mill operation (Ireton's first) was added in 1958.David Herwynen's Popcorn Stand on the east side of Main Street, about 1950Ireton Fire Department in 1907 after returning from a tournament where they won every contest they entered except one (they finished second). Chief Fred Marienau in front. Old fire station in back.Ireton Fire Department taken after a Fireman's Picnic on August 27, 1926. Everyone's favorite fire escape on the east side of the High School in background.Pool Hall about 1900 (taken from glass negative). Pool table must have been a good place for a nap.Interior of Pool Hall/Billiards Parlor with unknown gentlemen playing pool. According to the menu on the wall, 2 eggs were a quarter.Legion Lanes (1950's - 1980's)West Side of Main (current Medical Clinic)Ireton Ballpark1907East End of 4th StreetThe Ireton Band outside the Ireton Ballpark1908Golden Eagles Girls Softball team played at the Ireton Ballpark in the late 1930's and early 1940's.Ireton Ballpark (1948)After renovationsOutdoor Girls BasketballAbout 1910West Sioux Saddle Club set up for "Fun Day" in the northwest part of town -- about 1980.Ireton Shelter House about 1975 - before the pool.Slide in City Park about 1982.Horses & Buggies on Main Street with intersection of 4th and Main visible in background. About 1900.Residences on south Main Street in Ireton with cars along sides of street. Label on back: "where I was born" - by Iona Wing, daughter of Bert Wing and granddaughter of D.E. Wing).Going home from school over the swale on the wooden bridge on the north side of 4th Street between East & Oak Streets. About 1920.Looking northwest at the West side of Main Street from just south of the 4th Street Corner - about 1920.East Side of Main, south of 3rd1920'sLooking north from 4th & Main about 1920.Looking south from 3rd & Main about 1920.East Side of Main, north of 4th (1982)Lake Ireton Sign1976Northeast corner of Hwy 10 & K-30Downtown sign1982Ireton Sign(Abt 1960-2005)Christmas Candle at 4th and Main(About 1940)(Donated by Marilyn Torwelle)<>65 - 65