Community Information

The pages in this section of IretonIa.com cover some of the things that contribute to the quality of life in Ireton.  While the “Community Info” section of the website is mostly about government services and the “nitty, gritty” details of day-to-day life, Community Life is about services, organizations and facilities that make living here easy and enjoyable.

Click on a link below for more information.

How do I place an event or notice on the Electronic Sign at 3rd & Main? Provide the information to the City Administrator via telephone, e-mail, mail, fax or in person. How do I place an event on the portable sign that is placed at 4th & Main? You may obtain the stand from the City Maintenance building at 203 Main Street.  (Phone:  278-2214).  You need to create your own sign. How do I advertise an event on Cable Channel 12? Please send your announcement to Premier Communications and allow several business days for them to make the listing.  Events are normally placed on the channel 7 days prior to the event; however, if it is necessary to purchase tickets in advance, they will list the event earlier.  You may send your announcement by:

  1. Fax to Premier’s office at: 712-722-1113
  2. E-mail to: sharlab@mypremieronline.com
  3. Mail to: Premier Communications Attn: Community Announcements – Ireton PO Box 200 Sioux Center, IA  51250

How do I place an event on the home page or events page of this website? Just contact the website adminstrator. Events must be open to the public (tickets or payment may be required). We are happy to place an announcement of events in Ireton on the home page for up to 2 weeks before the event. If you would like more details placed on the events page, please send a pdf or jpg of any poster or other announcement. Advertisement of events outside of Ireton is wholly at the discretion of the website administrator; however, we generally list events that would be of interest to Ireton residents

Does Ireton regulate ATVs? Yes.  You may find the ordinance here. Does Ireton regulate snowmobiles? You may find the ordinance here. Does Ireton regulate Golf Carts? You may find the ordinance here. Are Fireworks allowed in Ireton? No.  The city council may permit certain public fireworks displays; however, they are regulated and proof of insurance must be provided (see City Ordinances).  Individuals are not permitted to set off fireworks in Ireton. Does Ireton have a curfew? Yes.  Sixteen (16) and Seventeen (17)-year-olds may not be in any of the alleys, streets, public places, business or amusement places between the hours of 12:00 a.m. (midnight) and 5:00 a.m.  Minors under the age of 16 may not be in any of those locations between 9:30 p.m. and 5:00 a.m. of the following day.

Is there a building code in Ireton?
Yes.  Ireton has adopted the Uniform Building Code.  You should consult the Ireton Code of Ordinances and the Uniform Building Code for more detail.

Do I need a building permit to put up a storage shed or fence in my yard?
Yes.  Building Permits are required for any structural work including remodeling of interior of $500.00 or more and any changes to the exterior structure, including the addition of a fence.  There is no charge for a building permit as long as the application does not require a zoning variance. A copy of the building permit application to print and then complete is available here.

May I put up a sign on my business or home or in my yard?
Ireton regulates the size and types of signs that may be erected.  Consult the building code for details.

What do I need to know/do before I plant a tree?
The city regulates where trees may be planted (how close to intersections, curbs, etc.), and size and grade of trees that may be planted.  Please consult the City Ordinances for exact provisions.  In addition, you MUST contact Iowa One Call (811 or 1-800-292-8989)

How do I rent the Community Center, shelter house at City Park or obtain use of the meeting area at the City Offices?
Please contact the City Administrator.  Here is the written agreement for renting the Community Center for your review.

How do I rent the West Sioux – Ireton Center gym?
Telephone 712-278-2374 for information on availability and rental rates.

May the public rent the gym at the Ireton Christian School?
Yes. Call the school at 278-2245 to make arrangements.  Facilities rent for 4 hour periods.  The gym; multipurpose room and kitchen are available for rent.

How do I rent the Sportsman’s Clubhouse (Gun Club)?
Call Chad Ping at 278-2457. Rental is available for members and non-members.

May I burn leaves?
Open burning is prohibited in Ireton. There is a garden waste, grass clipping and leaf pile near the old sewer plant on 1st Street west of LaSalle.  There is a branch/tree disposal site on the northwest corner of 1st & LaSalle

Do members of the Fire Department & Rescue Squad get paid?
They are all volunteers.

How can I volunteer for the Fire Department?
Contact Chief Richard Steckelberg or Training Officer Brian Smit at their business (278-2700) or leave a message on the Fire Department phone (278-2477) or talk to any member of the Department.

How can I volunteer for the Rescue Squad?
Contact the City Administrator’s office or talk to any other member of the squad.

Do I need to register my pet & how do I do so?
All cats and dogs 6 months of age or older must be licensed.  The fee is $5.  The rules may be found here.  The form for registering your pet is available here.  Contact the City Administrator if you have questions.

Does my pet need to be vaccinated against rabies?
All dogs or cats 6 months or older must be vaccinated against rabies.  A tag showing evidence of vaccination shall be attached to the dog’s collar.

Does my pet need to be fenced or on a leash & what are the penalties if it gets loose?
Yes.  All unattended animals must be kept in an enclosed kennel or fence of sufficient strength to prevent the animal from escaping.  No animal may be chained or roped on a stake while left unattended for an extended period of time.

In addition, even if someone is with the pet, it is unlawful to allow the dog or cat to go on other people’s property and cause damage or interfere with the property.  It is also unlawful to allow a pet to cause annoyance or disturbance by frequent and habitual howling, yelping, barking or otherwise; or by running after or chasing people, bicycles, automobiles or other vehicles.


1st offense: verbal warning

2nd offense: $25

3rd offense or more: $50 to $500.00 per occurrence

How do I report a loose pet or other animal?
Ireton is a community of “good neighbors”.  If you see a loose pet and can identify the owner, please contact them and ask them to keep their pet under control before you do anything else.  If the problem persists, you may report the problem to the police.  Pet owners are also reminded to be a good neighbor and to obey Ireton’s leash/kennel ordinance

If you see any loose animal that seems to have difficulties (e.g. a “drunken-walking” or “foaming at the mouth” skunk, opossum, or other animal, loose coyote, etc.), stay away from it. Call City Maintenance (278-2214); City Offices (278-2112); Police (712-551-4430) or Dial 911.

If my pet is picked up, where is it taken?
It is taken to the West Sioux Vet Clinic, 4187 Birch Avenue, Hawarden (Phone:  712-552-2812).  Contact the Police (712-551-4430) to make arrangements to retrieve your pet.

Are there certain animals that are prohibited within the City Limits?
Yes.  Dangerous animals are generally prohibited.  A dangerous animal is any which is not naturally tame or gentle, and which is capable of inflicting serious injury upon or causing disease in people or domestic animals (or that have a tendency to do so).  At its June 17, 2013 meeting the Ireton City Council amended its animal control ordinance with regard to vicious animals.  You may read the amended ordinance here.

The following animals have been deemed dangerous and are prohibited: Lions, tigers, jaguars, leopards, cougars, lynx, and bobcats, wolves, coyotes foxes badgers, wolverines, weasels, skunks, mink, raccoons, bears, monkeys, chimpanzees, and apes, alligators,crocodiles, scorpions, gila monsters, snakes that are venomous or are constrictors, Pit Bull Dogs: “pit bull” is defined as any dog that is an American Pit Bull terrier, American Staffordshire terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, or any dog which has the appearance and characteristics of being predominately of one or more of the foregoing breeds as measured against the standards established by the American Kennel Club or United Kennel Club for any of the foregoing breeds.

The City Council may also deem other animals dangerous in the future.

When are Summer Rec forms available?
Sign-up forms are usually available in mid-April. You may obtain a copy from the City Administrator’s office and we will try to post them on the Summer Rec page of this site in future years. The parents meeting (with schedules) is usually in early May. Notice is given in the Advertiser and on the sign on Main Street. We will also try to post notice on the homepage of this site.

When is the pool open?
The pool is open from early June until late August (weather permitting). Please check the Swimming Pool page for hours and schedule.

Does Ireton have a place to walk?
The new Ireton Walking Trail opened in 2012.  In addition, many walkers and joggers may be found on the streets of Ireton.  In the winter months, some walkers make circuits inside the City Office building.

When is the Bud Kemper PeeWee Tournament?
It is usually the last week in June.

How do I learn about rainouts of activities?
That information is usually placed on the answering machine at the pool (278-2917) (summer months only).

Does Ireton have a place to camp?
Yes, the Parkview Campground has three camping spots available.

Does Ireton have a “snow ordinance”? 
Yes.  Parking of any kind of vehicle, trailer, or apparatus of any nature is not allowed on any city streets between 2 a.m. and 7 a.m. from November 1 through April 1.  Street parking is prohibited during those months & times regardless of whether it snows.

Who is responsible for clearing and maintaining sidewalks?
Property owners are required to maintain sidewalks in a safe and hazard-free condition including any sidewalk that abuts their property but is outside the lot but inside the curb line or traveled portion of the street (i.e. on the portion traditionally called the “parking”)

How do I report a pothole or street damage?  Contact the City Administrator

How do I report a streetlight that doesn’t work? Contact the City Administrator

How are Ireton’s intersections controlled?
Most intersections in Ireton are uncontrolled. Drivers from all directions are required to use caution in approaching intersections and to yield to the driver on the right.  Drivers are required to yield to pedestrians.  We want everyone to be safe — please drive carefully (and slow down)!

How do I sign up for utility services?
Please visit the “Utilities” page for information about services and bill paying.

When is garbage and recycling pickup?
Garbage is picked up on Tuesday (Wednesday if Tuesday is a holiday).  Recycling is picked up on the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays of the month (Thursday if Wednesday is a holiday).  Both should be at the curb by 8:00 a.m. on the appropriate day (7 a.m. for recycling in warm months).

How do I report a power outage?
Please call Mid-American Energy at 800-799-4443.  They also have an online system for reporting outages.

Where does Ireton get its water?
Water is purchased from the Southern Sioux Rural Water System.

When are water meters read?
Meters are read each month.

When is payment due for my combined utility bill (water, garbage & sewer)?
Payment is due by the 10th of the month.  A late charge is applied to delinquent payments.

Do I need a plumber to hook into the water and sewer systems?
Yes. Water and sewer hook-ups must be performed by a licensed plumber.

Can I discharge my sump pump into the sewer system?
No. Sump pumps should not be discharged into the sanitary sewer pipes or drains.  Please discharge the water onto your property or into the street gutters.